Bürkliplatz was created after the bulwarks of the former town fortification were torn down. The city engineer Arnold Bürkli was responsible for constructing the lakeside park area from 1882 until 1887. Earth was filled in along the lake banks, and a continuous lakeside promenade was created with the Quaibrücke (lakeside bridge) with boulevards, meadows and parks. Today, Bürkliplatz is a dock and the starting spot for tours on Lake Zurich. The site is also the venue for a great variety of events. The vegetable market “Bürklimäärt” takes place here twice weekly, and there is a flea market every Saturday in the summer. The square is also the starting point and finish line of many athletic events.